Friday, July 31, 2009

The Tortoise and the Hare, Blog-Style

I was looking at my posting numbers so far this year and I was feeling pretty good. I wanted to try to average 10 posts a month and crack 100 for the year. I'm doing a little better than that overall thanks to having no work in February, but more significantly I've now hit double-digit posts for four consecutive months, which is good. And I seem to be setting up a pattern of sorts for the things I blog about, with more reviews sneaking their way in as was my original intent.

Not sure why I care about this, but I think it falls into the general category of practicing my writing and trying to set and meet writing-related goals.

Anyway, I popped over to my friend Aaron's blog, Anecdotal Evidence, only to see that he has 248 posts (and counting) this year. Or close to triple my output.

I was dazed and awed. Then I thought: if we compare word count for our blog posts for the year, it's probably pretty even. I might even be ahead.

Not that I'm competitive or anything.

8 comments:

Bex said...

My Dave, whose 7th blogoversy was last Saturday, claims the secret behind his long record of providing near-daily new blog-content is...

having absolutely no concern for quality.

I'm just saying.

Aaron DaMommio said...

Ha!
Yeah, all you have to do is elevate the goal of posting-something-daily over posting-something-great...

I haven't posted much text at all lately. Probably won't change that much this month, I'll be working on scuplts too much.

Aaron DaMommio said...

I think blogging is valuable, but defining that value and retaining it has been elusive. I admire many of your posts for their thoughtfulness and depth.

I get several things out of blogging: I can show the crafts I'm working on, which spurs me on. I can share interesting things. But the best stuff is when I develop some idea more than I would when just noting it down in my journal. But I think I'm caught right now at a point where my blog is too general to find much audience, and yet I'm not willing to settle on some topic and hit it really hard.

For a while there were several extremely random blogs written by individuals that I would read a lot, but lately I mostly go to BoingBoing or Metafilter for the neat random stuff.

Doug S said...

Hey, Becky, I'm not entirely sure that I've raised the bar much above the "no concern for quality" measure!

But I appreciate the implication.

Doug S said...

Well, DaMommio, I was going to chide you for mocking me with your "I won't post much this month" fluffery since you've been averaging a post a day (I like the sculpts you've been posting so far).

Then you write a nice comment so I think maybe you weren't just toying with me. :-)

I'm not sure what blogging does for me, either, other than set a small goal that isn't too onerous to achieve and to create a record of sorts of the things I have read.

Aaron DaMommio said...

Wait, so I'm the hare? You jerk! ;)

Aaron DaMommio said...

Oh, I said I wouldn't post much TEXT this month. I'll be posting sculpts every day, that's the metric for the scuplt a day thing. But I won't likely write much in the blog.

I make a distinction between quick 'look at this link' posts and photo posts and longer, more thoughtful poss. I've done basically none of the latter for some time now.

Doug S said...

If the furry foot fits, my friend. . .

:-)