Thursday, December 24, 2009

Deciding Whether to Continue the Blog

So, I'm debating whether keeping up with the blogging is worth the time and energy I sporadically invest in it.

In terms of keeping in touch with friends and family, it would probably be more efficient for me to put a profile on something like Facebook.

In terms of reviewing books and such, I'm not sure that the reviews help other people and I'm not entirely clear on what I get out of them. At times it feels like a burden, as though I have to review something I've read if I thought it was particularly good or bad or if it just left me confused.

Writing about my own writing has been somewhat helpful for me. But I think that having a space dedicated solely to that might be more productive than the mishmash I have now. And I'd like to publish some material before going much further down that route.

That leaves the occasional commentary on current events, which certainly gets lost in the big Internet blur.

Perhaps one option is to separate this blog into a few different "channels"--one for reviews and one for posting or discussing my own writing, and then a Facebook page for minor social updates and connections.

1 comment:

Aaron DaMommio said...

I'm in exactly the same place. I still think a blog is a great easy place to put certain content online. But I'm not sure I'm willing to do the work to make it content that lots of people would seek out. :)

At the moment I'm solving this by lowering my standards. Not worrying about images as much as I was, for example. :)

I'm getting a little feedback from folks other than yourself, but not much. Still, I value it when I hear from someone out of the blue.